What equipment do I need to use Relay service?

The most common device used to make a Relay call is a text telephone or TTY that can be used together with a phone handset. However, the equipment you need may vary depending on the type of Relay service you use. For more information on how to obtain a device for your specific needs, contact Telecommunications Access Iowa (TAI). If you qualify, equipment may be available at little or no cost to you.

Can I get a captioned phone from TAI?

Iowa residents may qualify to receive a voucher that covers 95 percent of the cost of a captioned phone, and any additional accessories such as a headset and/or ringer, through the Telecommunications Access Iowa (TAI) equipment voucher program. To learn more about the voucher program, please contact TAI (see contact information below).

Telecommunications Access Iowa
6925 Hickman Road
Des Moines, IA 50322
TTY: (515) 282-5130
Voice: (515) 282-5099
Toll-free: (800) 606-5099
VP: (515) 200-2899
Fax: (515) 237-3917
Email: teleiowa@aol.com

Can I purchase a CapTel phone directly?

CapTel phones are available through a company named WCI. To purchase a CapTel ® phone for $75, visit Iowa’s WCI page or contact WCI.

1500 Olympic Boulevard

Santa Monica, CA 90404
Voice/TTY: (800) 233-9130
Fax: (310) 450-9918
Email: CapTel@weitbrecht.com